Firefighters’ quick actions save home

February 17, 2015

fire on 72nd aveHART TWP. — The quick response of Hart and Shelby firefighters saved a home in the 900 block of 72nd Avenue Tuesday morning, Feb. 17. No injuries occurred.

A candle caused a mattress in the upstairs of the home to catch fire, Hart Fire Chief Ken Klotz said. Firefighters quickly arrived on scene, battling near-whiteout conditions and snow-covered roads to get to the house. A neighbor across the road called 911, and fire crews were dispatched at 11:26 a.m. Firefighters cleared the scene at 12:09 p.m.

Heavy smoke was pouring down the stairs, and firefighters swiftly went to the upstairs room and threw the smoking mattress out the window. No damage was done to the home owned by Bruce Walborn, Klotz said. “There were no flames,” the chief said, “but it was smoking really bad.” Fire crews used fans to air the smoke out of the home.

 

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Legally Speaking: Sentencing Guidelines

I am WSCC