Fire destroys house.

April 24, 2021

Fire destroys house.

By Allison Scarbrough, Editor.

GRANT TOWNSHIP — Fire destroyed a house at 3215 Cleveland Road near Rothbury Friday evening, April 23.

The fire started in the garage where a person was working on a motorcycle. Gas leaked out of the motorcycle, which was then ignited by a portable heater in the garage, said Grant Township Fire Chief Dan Yost.

”The house is a total loss,” said the chief.

The person was able to escape unharmed, said Yost, and others who live the house were not home at the time of the fire. Two adults and three children are being assisted by the American Red Cross. The family, which was renting the home, has renter’s insurance, he said, and the homeowner also has insurance on the house.

Assisting Grant Township Fire Department at the scene were Shelby-Benona, Ferry Township and Montague fire departments.

“We had a quick knockdown on it,” said Yost. “The guys worked hard.”

The fire was dispatched at 5:30 p.m., and firefighters cleared the scene around 7 p.m.

The fire began smoldering in the attic Saturday morning, April 24, around 7:45 a.m., and firefighters from the Shelby-Benona department were called to the scene because the Grant Township firefighters were preparing for a funeral procession and service for long-time Fire Chief Roland Brooks who had passed away in December.

Help Fund Local News

Please consider helping us keep local news active by sending a PayPal payment.

Subscribe to OCP via email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 12,762 other subscribers